Saturday, June 20, 2009

Cooler Master 90CFM fans upgrade

It's been a few days since my last post. If there were any readers out there, sorry for that. I had been pretty busy at work and preparations for my relocation to US by Intel. coincidentally, it was also because of these preparations that I had the opportunity to get my hands on the Cooler Master 90 CFM fans I've being eye-ing for awhile.

Cooler Master 90CFM Fan

I was in KL this morning to attend my US Visa interview. Basically everything went pretty smoothly and I had plenty of time left before heading back to Penang. So naturally, I had to make a pit stop at Low Yat first hehe. Walked around and found Sri Computers to be the only one carrying this fan model (or maybe I did not search deep enough) and also for a nice price of RM28. I found these fans selling in Penang as well but they will usually be priced at RM35. So I made a few calls back to see if anybody else needed them and in total I bought 7 of them :)

Here's the breakdown:
1 for SC's build (blue)
3 for another colleague (blue)
3 for myself (red)

Once I reached home and had dinner (about 9pm) I started to fixed up the new fans and try out the cooling improvements and visual effects I will be getting. So checkout the below sequence of blue/red fan comparison, before/after photos, some cable management shots and much more.

Red LED version

Blue LED version

Blue vs Red comparison. Notice the blue has brighter LEDs than the red.

Old set of radiator fans that have been serving me for the past year. Bye bye to them :)

Picture of radiator with current fans

Radiator with new CM fans

PC before fan change

After

Cable management behind motherboard tray. Much work still to do here. I'm planning to sleeve all the wires to make all of them an uniform black and do a much better cable tie cleanup. But it still looks pretty decent the way it is doesn't it? (Self praising haha)

Dark room shot through casing window (would be alittle more impressive if taken with a better camera). Not much to see from this actually. Future mod in plan is to cut a larger side window especially after internal paint job and liquid cooling for graphics, north/southbridges are in place. Water loops are meant to be shown off!

Lastly, a small comparison of cooling improvements with the new fans. With the very quite operation of the fans, I was allowed to power them up with 12V compared to the last set of fans due to noise levels. Also, with the high 90CFM rating, pressure is on that this fans should perform much better than my brandless cheap fans. However, for me, cooling improvements are not the primary reason I wanted to purchase these fans. My main goal is to maintain my current low noise level and at the same time, improve the overall look of the PC in accordance to my red coloured theme.

The results:

Temps before

Temps after. A 2C drop for the CPU and an overall 1C drop for all hardware in my case. This shows that the CM fans have increased the exhaust rate of hot air from the top which allows the negative pressure created internally to bring in cooler air from outside at a faster rate. Very satisfying results.

That's all folks! Hope you enjoyed the read and stay tune for my next posting on updates/benchmarks with SC's build. See ya!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Kirs. Nice of you to stop by at 4.20am haha
    Had this blog just to share stuff about my hobby once in a while. Kinda like a personal log book of my PC projects :)
    It's great that you can find it interesting

    ReplyDelete